Gold Coast Memories
Gold Coast Memories is dedicated to collecting and preserving our community’s heritage and making it available to the public online. Our growing collection of digitized postcards photographs, documents and artwork is available for viewing on this website and as part of the Long Island Memories project.
In 2010, the Gold Coast Public Library joined Long Island Memories, the digitization initiative sponsored by the Long Island Libraries Resources Council. The goal of Long Island Memories is to provide the people of Long Island with access to a visual and oral record of Long Island's history, culture, government and industry.
We hope you enjoy exploring this collection and discovering the history of our unique home.
The Restoration of Scudder's Pond
Scudder’s Pond in 1927
Bordering Glenwood Landing and the Village of Sea Cliff, Scudder’s Pond was once a part
of the estate of Townsend Scudder (1865 - 1960), who served as a U.S. Congressman and
New York State Supreme Court Justice. Today, the pond is a regulated wetland that acts as
a filter for run-off into Hempstead Harbor. Over this past winter, the pond underwent major
restoration work, funded by federal and county grants and contributions from the Hempstead
Harbor Protection Committee and the Village of Sea Cliff. The project was designed to improve water quality in the harbor.
New vegetation was planted along the pond’s shores and two obsolete dams were replaced. The
original size and depth of the pond were also restored.
The North Shore Country Club
Once the estate of Townsend Scudder (1865 - 1960), the North Shore Country Club has operated as a
golf course since the early 1900s. Scudder - who served as both a U.S. Congressman and New York
State Supreme Court Justice - helped establish the Glenwood Hook & Ladder, Engine & Hose Company
in 1907. As a member of the New York State Parks Commission, Scudder supported Robert Moses'
plan to establish Jones Beach State Park and the parkway system. In 1960, Parks Commissioner Moses
dedicated a plaque to Scudder at Jones Beach. Today, as in Scudder's day, the property spans the
Village of Sea Cliff and the unincorporated hamlets of Glen Head and Glenwood Landing. It is bordered
on the west by Shore Road and on the east by North Shore Middle School.
How the Nassau Light and Power Company Came to Glenwood Landing
From an article in Electrical World magazine, April 7, 1906:
[A] number of wealthy men having country seats near Roslyn, wishing electricity for their residences
and finding no station to supply it, determined to build a station to supply their collective wants rather
than to install individual isolated plants. In order also to remove the station as far as possible from their
dwellings it was determined to build the station on Hempstead Bay. Property on the bay front, however,
took a jump of over 500 per cent in value when the owners found who the prospective purchasers were
to be, and a station was built on the line of the Long Island Railroad on the outskirts of Roslyn. Coal
could then be easily obtained and wells were driven to supply the water necessary for the operation of the
plant. A new station was erected on Hempstead Bay in the village known as Glenwood, and sub-stations
maintained at Roslyn, Oyster Bay, Port Washington, Hicksville, Hempstead and Great Neck. These sub-
stations supply electric energy to Baldwin, Floral Park, Glen Cove, Glenwood, Great Neck, Hempstead,
Hicksville, Hyde Park, Mineola, Port Washington, Roslyn, Sea Cliff and Westbury. The territory covered
comprises a large section of the central portion of Long Island, and being of a suburban character
involves distribution in a large number of sparsely settled villages.
Page 1 of 4<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 Next > End >>